Friday, January 23, 2009

Too young

A few weeks ago I got an unexpected message on my Myspace page from a very dear friend that I had lost touch with a few years back. He was actually the little brother of a guy that I once dated, and I was giddy with excitement that we were back in touch. I called my mom (uhh hello cause she's my bestfriend) and told her all about the goings on in his life and what all had happened in the time that we haven't known each other. She had never met him, but knew of his family and knew that I held the utmost respect for them and the way that they had treated me in the somewhat short time that I was "part of their family".

This friend had a very bad wreck a few years back, he had been on a motorcycle that he and his brother had built and a woman on her cell phone quite literally ran over him. He died that day and was brought back to life by the measures of the EMT's and the Dr.'s. He had endured 9 of the most awful rehabilitation surgeries since this time but was back on the mend and getting back to life. He had married and divorced his wife and they have 2 of the most beautiful little girls you've ever laid eyes on ages 3 and 4, and this was his inspiration to keep going in life.

I got a phone call tonight from my sister in law as Danny, Caleb and I sat down to eat dinner at one of our favorite Chinese restaurants telling me that James (my brother, who is a police officer) had been called out to a 911 call last night and that my friend Colby, age 24, had died of a massive heart attack apparently with his girls by his side.

The only thing I can think is that we were planning a play date for our kids to go to Jump Zone, that those two beautiful little girls are going to grow up without the love and humor and wit of their father and that they will have to walk down the isle one day and not have him by their side where he should be, that his parents hearts must be in a million and one pieces right now, that his brothers must be completely devastated, that I can't stop the tears from running down my face and I am afraid that my sobs will wake Caleb or Danny for that matter, that I feel like I am overreacting to this because the two of us had drifted apart and hadn't really known each other in a long time, that time for his family will forever be measured since his death and not in days till his next birthday, that I hate the fact that I know this hurt and yet cannot imagine how devastating this is for his family (because like me they are all about FAMILY), that things in life happen for no reason what so ever, and most of all that I feel such a loss in the pit of my stomach I can't make myself stop thinking about him and replaying all of the times we were together and all of the memories that he is in.

I don't know what else to say

7 Comments:

Blogger Kirsty said...

Oh how sad and horrid:-( I am so sorry.

January 24, 2009 at 12:53 AM  
Blogger Kori said...

Praying for you and this family that has lost. I am so sorry my dear sweet friend.

January 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Ariel said...

:( I'm so sorry to hear that. My thought will be with you and your friends family. Such a tragedy.

January 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger Funky Kim said...

((Hugs))

January 24, 2009 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I am so sorry for you loss. My heart goes out to you.

January 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger ~Ronda~ said...

Yes, HE IS!! I too will keep you all in our prayers as I cannot even begin to imagine the loss that you all are feeling!! Thank you for your prayers and I will post as soon as I can, not sure how much time I will have tomorrow, but as soon as I can!! Thank you again!! We Love Yall too!!

January 25, 2009 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger Twenty Four At Heart said...

What a heartbreaking story! I'm so sorry - for you, for his family. So sad .....!

January 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home