Friday, April 24, 2009

Isn't it funny

Actually I think the lyric goes "ain't it funny how a melody, can bring back a memory", and who ever wrote that song must have been living my life. Its so strange to me that I can hear a song and instantly be taken back to a time and place that seems so far away, the days before we were a family, even days before we were a "we".

For example, any time I hear anything from Pink's first CD, I'm riding in an 18 wheeler on my way to Los Angeles, CA... now looking back this is not one of my fondest memories but it's a part of what made me the me I am today and for that I guess I'm thankful.

Any time I hear, or see a reference to the Oscar Meyer wiener song it takes me back to being pregnant with Caleb. I made up a song I used to sing to my belly when I was pregnant with him that went a little something like this
"my belly has a first name it's C-A-L-E-B, my belly has a second name it's L-I-N-D-Y, oh I'll love to watch him grow and play and if you ask me why I'll say "cause Caleb Lindy has a way with me his M-O-M-M-A"
Cute I know, and catchy too (sorry if you now have the Oscar Meyer wiener song stuck in your head the rest of the day).

Llynard Skynard takes me back to a time right after graduating high school, when nothing in my world seemed right or good and all I could do was get high and listen sing my heart out to some Tuesday's Gone and Free Bird.

Live's song "Lightening Crashes" takes me back to the night I lost my virginity (stop reading now MOM) when Danny (yes he was my first, and now we are married, again how cute... ugg there were others of which I am not proud) and I were both virgins and had NO CLUE what we were doing. Wow was this one TMI? None the less it's a memory I live over and over again every time I hear this song.

I simply cannot hear the song "Daddy's Hands" and not be moved to tears, when memories of my grandfather flood over me.

Then there is my favorite song of all times, Pearl Jam "Yellow Ledbetter" which always makes me think of throwing darts, drinking beer and being surrounded by friends and family all of which I love!

So, my adoring 15 followers, I ask what are some songs that take you back? And if you are here, reading this and not a follower, you too can leave a comment, but I'll just tell you, you are way cooler when you are a follower of this blog, it's a proven fact, ask the 15 that do and I am sure they will tell you that there lives have been greatly improved and enriched just by becoming a follower of this blog! I'm just saying....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this little prompt could get windy in my case...
-anything by Shania Twain makes me think of the summer I was 17. at the time I thought everything was grand but looking back on it makes me sick. and now I can't stand Shania Twain
-Coconut (the coconut song?) instantly takes me back to my first big party-till-I-threw-up after I moved to Little Rock. the beginning of the craziest 2 years of my life
-Goodbye My Lover by James Blunt makes me put my hands on my belly cuz I sat for hours when I was pregnant with Anna listening to that whole CD. I love love love it but I can't listen to it now

April 24, 2009 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger Kori said...

I read it all but you know the only thing that stuck out was the words Paerl Jam and Yellow Ledbetter!

Reminds me of Summers in Florida on the beach, radio blaring, smell of Hawaian Tropic on my skin, underage drinking.

Oh yeah those were the days.

April 24, 2009 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Tiffany T said...

I find it amazing how music can help trigger some memories so vividly. I love how you shared your TMI. Good for you two for waiting for each other.

Elvira (Oak Ridge Boys) reminds me of camping with my Dad who would make me listen to all of those cheesy country songs while driving through the forest to our campsite. Awesome...

April 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM  
Blogger ~Ronda~ said...

Oh wow, I'm really diggin deep and feelin my age now.

Anytime I hear Mary Jane's Last Dance,I think I'm alone now or Kokomo, I am instantly reminded of the big yellow bus and the dirt roads we traveled with more than a few girls belting those lines, yes, you were one of those girls too, my dear.
~Deanna Carter's Strawberry Wine brings back 96/97 and my wild chasin boys I shouldn't have been chasin days..
~Push brings back gosh awful memories about some cop that I will totally remain anonymous about!
~November Rain & With or Without You so bring back that Salter boy that I was head over heels for way back then? Wonder where he is now? Oh yeah, Prison!

Very weird how a time frame or certain instance always goes with a certain song, huh? I could go on and on with this, but I'll not haunt you with that scary past of mine!! Loved this btw!

April 26, 2009 at 10:45 PM  
Blogger Cristin said...

The entire Grateful Dead library takes me back to being on tour...which is ironic because those are some hazy memories at best... more a general feeling than a distinct memory...

Oh, I'm not a follower... of any blogs... I may or may not change that at some point... I'm a jerk.

April 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Jonnie Honse said...

Love this post!!!! I will have to think on it though!

April 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home