Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Flying solo

Is way overrated. Yesterday was my first day to drive and do pick ups all by myself. It was NOT supposed to be, Danny was supposed to park his truck and ride with me in order to help me back into places and get my barrings. Now I know what you are thinking, "didn't you say you went to school to learn to do all of this on your own", and the answer to that question is YES. However, school was a month ago and here I sit one month later having not forgotten everything I learned but simply chosen to have filed it away in the "for future reference" category of my brain!

So like I was saying Danny was supposed to have ridden with me, but due to some complications with the 9 + million packages he had to deliver yesterday I was ... well.... as I like to say shit out of luck.

So I was equipped with my scanner, my truck and my muscles (insert very loud laugh here) oh yeah and my cell phone (and I used that thing like it was going outta style).

All in all I did a pretty good job whilst out and about. I picked up 113 packages and only about 4 of them weighed more than I did.

At the end of the day, Danny had finally caught up and offered to pick up my last 3 stops for me and I was exhausted/elated all at the same time. Now all I had to do was take the truck back to the terminal, park it, turn in my paper work and head to the house. This is where I ran into what we will call a "small" problem.

It was on the way back to the terminal it occurred to me that I didn't know where to park the truck, as in which slot the size of a VW Beetle inside the terminal this particular vehicle belonged in. Now I could just say the parking spot for this truck is small, but that just wouldn't do it justice, its just that when you back one of these trucks in you have enough room to clear mirrors with the truck beside you and that is it. I'm pretty sure not even a pile of gnat shit would drop between the mirror of your truck and the truck next to you even if said gnat really had some pretty good force behind his bowel movement!! It's that close people!!!

Check my super duper, I really want to rock this and consider myself a bad ass, brass balls at the door, I called Danny almost in tears (knowing good and well that on Wednesday, as in the day before Thanksgiving this week I would have no other choice but to do this myself seeing as how Danny will be outta town) the conversation went as follows

"Hey babe, the truck was outside the terminal when I came to get it today, where the hell am I supposed to park it"

"I think it's the 2nd of 3rd spot from the end, on the belt side"

"the end that I drive in on, or the end at the other end of the terminal"

"ha you wish it was the end that you drive in on, that would be too easy, it's the end on the other side of the terminal"

(mind you I am sitting at the door that I am supposed to drive in, looking long ways down thru the terminal sweating profusely and all of a sudden feeling the need to throw up immediately)

"ummm yeah, about that, there is NO WAY IN HELL I can park this truck Danny, I'm the last truck in, everyone else has already parked and I'm thinking there is no way in hell I can pull this truck in get it straightened out and actually park it without causing some major property damage to the trucks in front of me and on either side of me. I CANNOT do this"

"well it's ok, don't panic, all you have to do"

"I'm not asking you Danny, I'm telling you, when you get here this damn truck will be parked outside with the keys in it and you will have to park it"

"Ok, no problem, but you know"

"yes I know I will have to do it tomorrow, and God help me everyone of those loaders in there will be rolling on the floor laughing their asses off at me, well that is until I back over one of them"

So I didn't get the truck parked, and turns out that one of our good friends that works for Fed-Ex was there and he parked it for me, and I got to watch while he did it.

Still no way in hell I think I can do it, and that thought in and of itself haunted me all night last night and will continue to haunt me all day today but I will not mention it to Danny. I will do it because I HAVE TO DO IT! So wish me luck and if you hear a loud "thud" around oh say 7ish tonight please say extra prayers cause I'm going to be dead if I hit something!!

Sure hope my hubby enjoys his time at the Cowboy's game tomorrow!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Oh I wish you the best of luck. And that was one hilarious story. I love reading about your adventures.

November 26, 2008 at 12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

will you call me when it's time for you to park that thing? I'm gonna come with popcorn and a vvideo camera :)

November 26, 2008 at 10:58 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm from Arkansas as well!(and I'm 28..lol) I found you on Blog around the World and thought I'd say hello! Come visit me if you'd like!

Jennifer

November 26, 2008 at 11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home