Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Tale of Two Marriages (aka my 100th post)

Several of you have asked, thanks to my ultra-informative post about me, about the fact that I have been married twice to the same man. So I thought I would tell you the story of "us".

It begins like most "high school sweetheart" stories you hear, young, stupid, and in love! Danny and I dated off and on from the time I was in the 6th grade and he was in the 8th (wow I suddenly feel freakin OLD). We met at church camp of all places, which I later found out he went to, to impress a different girl that was at camp that year, turns out God (or possibly Satan himself) had different plans for that man of mine!

Lord almighty we had our fare share of drama and sometimes were off again more than on, but we always had a way of getting back together at least every other week throughout high school:)

So it was decided that after I graduated we would get married (I'm pretty sure I decided this all on my own come to think of it) nonetheless I spent my entire Sr. year of HS planning my wedding instead of doing all the "fun stuff" that most normal people do. I graduated HS on May 15th and we got married on May 16th (never mind I was 17 at the time and not even pregnant... you know the legitimate reason to get hitched) we decided to do it that way like a two for one deal for all our relatives, come to the graduation and stick around for some wedding cake! LOL

Thus our first marriage was official, as I drove us away from the Country Club reception, wedding dress piled up on top of me (Danny was umm unable to drive due to a minor traffic violation that left him with a suspended drivers license... I think they call it DWI.... oh the good old days) so away we went into the sunset to begin our blissful life as a happily married couple.

Only, well, it SUCKED! We fought, we argued, we cussed and threw things at each other, we were both so stubborn that neither of us would say sorry or admit defeat, we openly admitted to each other that we HATED each other, we screamed, neither of us cleaned because why should I have to clean your mess? We were too ashamed to ask for any kind of guidance (because hello I was 17, or 18 and I knew what I was doing) we failed miserably.

At 18 years of age I stood before a judge in the Polk County court house and asked for him to grant a divorce based on "irreconcilable differences" when what I really wanted to say was that I had screwed up, married an asshole and wanted out. The judge was a DICK, sure he granted my divorce petition, but he did it with such condescension and presumption that it made me feel like a total failure. I can remember having a talk with my dad that afternoon sitting out on the front porch of my parents home (which I had moved back into at this point) and saying as I choked back tears "who will ever want me now, I'm 18 and divorced" and that is honestly how I felt (low of all lows).

So what now? I'm a free woman, divorced, and still in small town no where.... So I did what any girl in my situation would do... I sewed my wild oats (I'll save this post for a later date) ended up in a town about 80 miles from where I was born and raised dating a guy who was NOT good 'to' me and NOT good 'for' me and suddenly I started to realize that things happen for a reason. (I totally laugh out loud every time I think of this particular guy because he is now one very FAT very UGLY guy and I have a tendency to think to myself... Karma is a bitch buddy).

None the less fast forward to about two years after our divorce, throw in a completely FREAK Ice storm (I know what your thinking... you guys get a lot of freak ice storms in AR... not really I swear....) by some strange chance I found out that Danny was also in town at his mom's house and decided to call just to see how he was doing, I mean hell we had no power, I was iced in he was iced in might as well make the most of it right. Turns out he was just in town visiting, he was working for a company that sent him all around the US to fix air planes and was actually living in up state New York at the time.

When the ice had thawed it was time for him to go, and I felt an all too familiar twinge in my heart when he left.... Turns out he sent me a ticket to come up for a week and visit him and I jumped at the chance. Aside from getting lost in Canada for 4 hours in crack freakin central (also totally a post for another time), our visit was AWESOME. He and I talked about me moving up there to live with him and all that was left to do was to convince my parents that this was in fact a good idea! Ha... (will save this post for another time as well)

As luck would have it, the contract that he was working on ended before I got packed and moved so he came back to our home town and we started all over again. Only this time we moved away from the town where everyone knows your name and your business and while I will admit there have been several bumps along the way, we managed to get through them all and have a wonderful, all be it most days a pain in the butt, 3 year old, a house, our own business and all the love that two people could have!

I am a lucky, lucky lady (I don't spend nearly enough time reflecting upon that).


So there you have it guys, the story of us! So with much love it's to my 2nd marriage to the same man that I dedicate this my 100th post!

3 Comments:

Blogger ~Ronda~ said...

Awww, how sweet!! You filled in some blanks in my mind, so get to those other posts, my dear, so you can fill in the rest!! Don't you know that I am not a patient person!! LOL Congratulations btw on your 1st and 2nd marriage, as relationships continue to be a stepping stone, learning lesson, all that bs that they say! I am still in the full belief that men are from MARS and women are from VENUS!!

February 10, 2009 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger ~aj~ said...

That is awesome that you guys found your way back to one another. Congrats on 100!!

February 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES!!! I've seriously been checking your blog everyday and nothing.....then today I check and so much fun stuff!!!! I love the story of you and Danny! And I was also thinking of how much I liked your mom and dad! They were always so nice to me!

February 17, 2009 at 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home