Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ode to the cat

Lets get one thing straight, I am a cat person or at least thought I was before owning one. Our cat "Kitty" (how original, yeah I'll take all the credit for that one) has been a part of our family for almost 9 years now. She's almost as fat as she is tall, which makes her somewhat round and she just thought she didn't like children, that is until we had one 3 years ago.

She and Caleb have what seems to be (to the untrained eye) a love/hate relationship. Caleb is the love, in that he wants everything to do with her no matter what time of day or night it may be, no matter if she is sleeping or awake, and no matter if she is feeling the love that day or not. Kitty is most certainly the hate side of the relationship, she hates everything to do with Caleb, wants NOTHING more than to plot his untimely demise every chance she can get and is positive that one day this ultimate plan of hers that she's been hatching over the last 3 years will play out just as she has it set in her mind.

So like any sibling since she can't stand Caleb she has taken to trying her hardest to get him into trouble. Now I don't have a lot to go on, since only one of them can verbalize their thoughts and feelings but I am most certain that I have this one all figured out.

The last two weeks or so we have had a hellofa time getting Caleb to go to sleep at night. We do our normal bedtime routine which consists of bath, prayers, singing our songs and rocking and then into the bedroom for a drink of "super water" (yeah I've got this kid down to a science) kisses and squeezes from both mom and dad and even some kisses for brown bear and then it's lights out and off to sleep, or at least that is how it used to work! Now there are no less than 4 trips to the bathroom (always 2 trips to pee pee and 2 trips to poo poo) and hey I'm not complaining at least he's getting it down to where most mornings he's waking up dry and I'm all for that. But even after his trips to the potty we are catching him out of his bed in the hallway more and more and most times he's sneaky but now it's just gotten to where he is down right brazen and bold about it.

Last night on my way into see what exactly he thought he was doing out of his bed much less out of his room it occurred to me that the cat has taken to laying in the hallway and taunting him.... yeah that's right you heard me.... she lays there on her back in the middle of the hallway with her yellow belly just itching for him to come and pet her, scratch her belly and tell her what a good girl she is. This is EVIL and must be stopped!!!

So when I talked to Caleb about why he was out of bed and out in the hallway (mind you I did not mention the cat what so ever) he says

"But momma, Kitty is lonely"

"Caleb she's a cat, she thrives I mean she likes being lonely"

"she came to lay outside my room so I would pet her,love her, and tell her what a good girl she is" "She is a good girl, isn't she momma?"

and when I wanted to say, "yes she's a good girl who's fixing to find her furry ass locked out in the cold, awful, dank and damp garage" I simply settled for a thoughtless threat instead

"son if you get back out of bed again I will be sending your daddy to spank you, now GO TO SLEEP"

(I know I could never really lock her out of the house, I just have too much heart for this fat cat of ours even if she has gotten more creative in finding ways to take out our other child ... do you think I am in denial about the fact that she might really be a threat I mean she does still have ALL of her claws??)

None the less... here she is in all of her glory (note that her claws are out and she "seems" to be asleep, I'm just betting that she's dreaming of yet another plot to fix that little shit that's always bugging her)


3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

that is just too funny. my kids have the same relationship with out cat. They love him and he hate them. He repays us by wanting to be let out in the cool and snow at 3AM. Damn cat!

December 3, 2008 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger ~Ronda~ said...

Oh, how I sympathesize with you?? Our cat, who is only 6 months old, is Satan in disguise!! She hasn't yet figured out how to get Tay in trouble, but she does make her life a living hell, as her current demise is the Christmas tree! However, I had her ass declawed about a month or two ago, cause she was destroying our house and furniture!! But give her time, and I think she will be just like Kitty!! Please tell me what possesses them to act this way??

December 3, 2008 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Jenelle said...

It's funny that I visited your blog for the first time today, and it's a post about a cat! My insane husband and I went to the pound today for one or maybe two cats, and we came home with THREE. Yes, THREE. We are, apparently, very stupid people. I have no idea what we are going to do with three cats, but the pound was pretty full, and they kill the animals when they run out of room. We are such suckers.
Anyway, I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today! It used to be a way more fun place when I had more time. I'm hoping to be a better blogger soon, but we'll see. :)

December 3, 2008 at 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home